Workshops and tutorials will be on November, 15th. See the programme for details.
WS1 – Towards Sustainable Serious Games
Organizers: Barbara Göbl, Jannicke Baalsrud Hauge, Ioana Stefan and Heinrich Söbke
The workshop will discuss how to create long-term value in serious game projects. Participants will take a closer look at game aging and maintenance, as well as reuse and repurposing of serious games and their components as potential means to facilitate sustainable serious game design. The workshop builds on alternating lectures, brainstorming in small groups and plenary discussions to summarize participants’ previous experiences and devise new ideas facilitating long-term use of serious games and their components.
WS2 – 1st IFIP Workshop on Interactive Storytelling in Extended RealitiES (IFIP-WISER) – canceled Organizer: Mads Haahr This workshop will explore the specific challenges and opportunities associated with interactive storytelling in eXtended Realities (XR) and capture the findings in a journal paper, which the participants will be invited to co-author. Participants will give short presentations and participate in informal panel discussions on relevant topics of their interest.
WS3 – Workshop on XR Experiences for Entertainment and Industry (WXREEI)
Organizers: Thiago Porcino and Esteban Clua
Date and Location: November, 15th – From 14:00 to 18:00. Room Ercolani 3
This workshop is intended to produce a discussion among researchers, developers, and anyone interested in addressing immersive entertainment or industry applications and research. Although immersive technologies have evolved rapidly, there are many barriers that still affect entertainment industry investments. There are many ways to create innovative applications in an immersive environment. In this workshop, we make a discussion about immersive technologies and future trends of immersive solutions to the entertainment industry, such as immersive films, games, and simulators. Additionally, we propose the IFIP ICEC XR Experiences, tied to extended reality interactions, including mixed, virtual, and augmented reality experiences. Such experiences can include immersion in different entertainment and industry areas such as games, storytelling, marketing, education, entertainment, health, cinema, industry 4.0 and so on. The participants can submit their work and include some kind of user’s interaction and the authors should identify what kind of equipment is necessary for the user to feel the best and complete experience. Premiere and innovative pieces will be showcased throughout the IFIP ICEC 2023 conference venue.
We welcome participants that are engaged on Virtual Reality, Mixed Reality, Augmented Reality and other immersive environments to take part of the Workshop.
Call for Participation
We are thrilled to invite professionals, researchers, developers, and enthusiasts to participate in the Workshop on XR Experiences for Entertainment and Industry (WXREEI). This workshop promises to be a remarkable platform to explore the world of Extended Reality (XR) and its applications in entertainment and industry.
WXREEI is divided into:
- Presentation: How do AI powers impact impactful extended and mixed experiences?
- Panel – XR Research Promoting: This session is dedicated to presenting your original full paper or short paper (already accepted at IFIP ICEC 2023) related to XR. This is your chance to introduce your paper and promote it for the full presentation during the scheduled time and session at the event. We recommend that authors prepare a 10-minute presentation and inform the audience about the date and time of the full presentation.
- XR Experiences: This session is exclusively reserved for the presentation of groundbreaking XR experiences through concise 5-minute video presentations at the workshop. We extend an enthusiastic invitation to students, startups, as well as independent developers and designers to submit your exceptional XR experiences. Further information regarding submission details is outlined below.
- Panel Discussion: Invited researchers and the audience will discuss XR and technology trends during this panel. Topics such as How XR and AI can improve industry and entertainment fields or What are the future of XR and AI?
Submission for XR Experiences
We invite authors to submit a video with novel immersive experiences to the XR Experiences session tied to immersion in different entertainment and industry areas such as games, storytelling, marketing, education, entertainment, health, cinema, industry 4.0 and so on.
Deadline: November, 11th (Early submissions are highly encouraged.)
To present your XR project, kindly follow these steps:
- Email submission: Send the following information to email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email subject: WXREEI – XR Experiences – [Author’s name – Project’s Title]
- Submission details
- Author’s Name: Clearly list the name(s) of the author(s) and their affiliation (i.e. University, Company).
- Experience Title: Provide a concise, descriptive title for your XR experience.
- YouTube Link (unlisted): Share a private YouTube link demonstrating your XR project in action.
- Experience Abstract: Craft a brief summary of your XR experience, outlining its key features, objectives, and what makes it unique.
- Promotional Experience Image: Attach a high-quality promotional image (.jpg, .png) representing your XR project.
- Important details for the video content:
- MUST have a maximum length of 5 minutes.
- You are encouraged to include user interaction within your XR experience.
- Clearly identify the type of equipment required for users to achieve the best and most complete experience.
WS4 – Aesthetics and Empowerment
Organizers: Mengru Xue, Cheng Yao, Jun Hu, Yuqi Hu and Hui Lyu
Aesthetics in design are known to be empowering in terms of various perspectives in one’s life. This workshop aims to explore innovative approaches, methodologies, and technologies that can further enhance the role of aesthetics in empowering individuals in the digital age. By delving into the relationship between aesthetics and empowerment, we seek to foster discussions and collaborations among researchers, practitioners, designers, artists, and industry professionals. This workshop will provide a platform for sharing insights, exchanging ideas, and exploring new and emerging trends in this exciting area.
T1 – Fashion in the Metaverse: Technologies, Applications, and Opportunities
Organizers: Gustavo Marfia and Lorenzo Stacchio
This tutorial will provide participants with an overview of how academia and industry are applying Metaverse-related technologies to the entertainment sector, with an emphasis on fashion. Fashion, in fact, appears as an interesting use case, as it integrates: (a) entertainment and storytelling aspects, (b) creativity, (c) industrial production, and, (d) large customer bases. In the last three decades, different research products and experiences have been proposed based on augmented and virtual reality technologies, but the advent of a Metaverse ecosystem deploying non-fungible tokens, artificial intelligence paradigms, and advanced interfaces is opening completely new scenarios. The material will be presented adopting a methodological approach, proposing taxonomies and analyses which connect to consumer needs, use cases, hardware technologies, and software architectures. The target audience that would most benefit from this tutorial would be entertainment professionals in academia and industry, with a particular interest in cultural heritage preservation, creative aspects, brand identity, and xCommerce. By the end of this tutorial, an attendee could develop a drafted project proposal for future funding applications or outline a research and development agenda.
T2 – Exploring new frontiers at the intersection of AI and art
Organizers: Gennaro Vessio
The tutorial explores how AI advancements can be leveraged to enrich the understanding, enjoyment, and accessibility of art, offering new and intriguing ways to engage with artistic works. The tutorial will cover three main topics: knowledge graphs, diffusion models for in-painting/out-painting artworks and large language models and artwork captioning.